
I went on a fieldtrip with Amaya's 1st grade class to Mrs. VanderBroek's house yesterday. (her teacher) Mrs. V. is a self described nature freak, which I love. She started the beginning of their year with tons of monarch butterflies, chrysalis' and many, many caterpillars. That set the tone for the year I think. They have seen a snake eat a mouse, tadpoles, rolly polly bugs, had a pet hamster, and many other "critters" in her 1st grade class. She lives on 20 acres out in GH and has a pond, dunes, many gardens, an orchard and obviously many paths throughout her property to hike. What a great time the kids had at her house on this fieldtrip, and what an easy thing to put together. Parents drove, the kids brought their lunch, and ice cream with chocolate syrup was provided. They went on a nature hike, ate lunch, played games, had their ice cream treat, then bubbles and sidewalk chalk to finish it up. All the kids had a great time, and the weather was perfect for this type of outing.
Amaya talked about this fieldtrip for days and was so excited that I would be going with them. Mrs. V. has talked about all the stuff that she and her 2 boys find/catch around their house all year, and I think the kids were finally able to put it all together. They LOVED that they went to thier teacher's house.

Another thing that she talked about before the trip are
ant lions. I think I have heard of them before, but have never seen one...well, here it is, just not all that clear. First, you look for this caved in shape in the sand, then you have to scoop really fast, then you might be able to catch it, which Mrs. V. did. ( If you listen closely, you can even hear it roar!!) Just kidding, but my sister Heidi believed it. Cracked me right up!

The kids kept asking about these tent worm nests that seem to be everywhere around here right now, and Mrs. V. opened one of the "nests" up to show them what is inside. Gross!!

Gross!!

Gross!!
And I really mean Gross!!
Next the kids had lunch, then played a few games.


Amaya doing the marshmellow race.

Mrs. V. and Deb Murak demonstrating the potato sack race for the kids. Amaya's turn.


What a great time to have at the end of the year.
2 comments:
We saw those tent worm things all over at the cabin. I didn't know what they were...I am so glad my kids didn't get into them. GROSS! It would haved solved our fishing without worms problem though.
Mrs. V is a great teacher. I bet the kids love her. I would if I were her student. (I was kind of like that when I taught too :) Nature is awesome. Go Amaya --- did she win the sack race??
Post a Comment