Today wasn't that great of a day for me. It started out pretty good, I could have even said that I was having a "good mom day". I got Amaya off to school, Ryan and Jake fed, and all "the boys" to preschool. I even went to the park, after dropping Jake off, so Ryan could play and go down the slides. Then Ryan and I went to Granny and Papa's to visit and give her the mother's day present that I was unable to drop off yesterday. Still, at this point, having a good day.
When Jake got home.....he was begging to let Charles stay and play. I said no, because I needed to get some things done around the house, Ryan was sleeping, and I hadn't been home in 2 days because of work.....(I don't really need an excuse, I just didn't want it today). Apparently Jake was more upset with this than I thought. Ryan was sleeping and Jake said that he wanted to watch Inspector Gadget, so I said why don't we watch it in your room and I can pick up while I am in there. Off to pick up an entire weekend's worth of mess. This is when I found all the diapers under the bed. I clean often enough in there that I know that these have only been there a few days. Dealt with that. Jake continued to watch the show and I was picking up, taking care of stuff that didn't belong in his room, I found my way to the computer and did a small blog, checked e-mail, etc. I was only downstairs for probably 15 minutes. Back to Jake's room to hang out and continue to pick up. I am crawling on the floor picking up all the trains and tracks and look under the train table......5 open and empty ampules of albuterol. (this is what we use to give Jake his nebulizer treatments when his asthma is acting up, but we only use one at a time).
M: Jake, what are these doing here?
J: I needed them for my coughsies. (a jake word)
M: When did you do all these?
J: On this day.
M: What do you mean, on this day? Today?
J: Yup, I did them today.
M: There is no way you did all these today, I know you wouldn't have sat this long to do these, you don't have the patience.
J: No, I drank them.
M: You drank them?
J: Yup, I drank them.
M: Really, did you really drink them? Did you really drink them?
J: Yes, I drank them.
You have got to be kidding me!! So I call Scott and tell him, then call Galvin's office and they tell me to call poison control. I do this all the time at work, but never thought I would be calling for my own child, it is a damn good thing that I am a nurse, because I would be freaking out at this point if I didn't have this experience. Plus, I still have a very hard time believing that he really drank these. We talk to the kids all the time about medicine and the dangers and he has been around this albuterol since he was six months old. I don't even know how many times I have told him that this is NOT to drink! I am looking in the package insert and reading about overdose: it says things like seizure, heart rate over 200, restless, agitation, and even cardiac arrest. Now, I know that even just one treatment can give you a bit of an increased HR and shakiness and I am wondering what 5 at one time will do.
PC: Hello, this is poison control.
Les: Hi, my son just drank 5 ampules of 3.5 mg per 3 ml albuterol. So he drank 15 ml's.
PC: Why did he do that?
Les: He said it was to help his coughsies, he has asthma......blah, blah, more answers to questions.
PC: I am going to put you on hold so I can go talk to someone. ( I have never been put on hold in all the times that I have called. Usually they just look it up in their book and tell us what to do)
While I am on hold. I am asking Jake if he really drank these and telling him how dangerous that was, this conversation went on for 10 minutes, all the time that I was on hold. I am telling him that taking medicine the wrong way gets you really sick...etc, etc, etc. Then I tell him, Jake you can die from this, do you realize that? After more talking about this, and I am STILL on hold.
Jake: I didn't drink it.
M: You did or didn't?
J: I didn't.
M: Jake, you can't lie to me, I really need to know.
J: I didn't.
M: What did you do with it?
J: I put it in that thing that you hear with.
M: I have no idea what you are talking about. You have to show me.
We proceed into his bedroom and he shows me the heater register. I pull it out and can see drips coming off of it and a small puddle in the heating duct.
M: Did you put all of it in here? Did you drink any of it?
J: NO! I didn't drink it!
M: Why did you tell me you did then? (as I am still on hold)
J: I didn't want to get into trouble.
Finally the PC lady, Helen, comes back on the phone and asks if he REALLY drank ALL of them. I tell her what happened and she was relieved. She was going to send me to the ER. She told me what to watch for just in case and the call was over. I felt so bad for taking their time, and she was so nice. Now, I was mad...about the lying.
OK, dealt with that issue...more talking and some time out.....
Later he set the mole trap off with his foot, lied about getting dressed to go out and I found him outside with only shorts on (it was too cold for this), wouldn't follow directions many times, and lied some more about things with Amaya.
His afternoon consisted of him in time out, then in his room until his dad got home. He was not happy about this.
Just another day in the life of Jake, I guess. It was rough for me, I am hoping that tomorrow goes a lot smoother.
When Jake got home.....he was begging to let Charles stay and play. I said no, because I needed to get some things done around the house, Ryan was sleeping, and I hadn't been home in 2 days because of work.....(I don't really need an excuse, I just didn't want it today). Apparently Jake was more upset with this than I thought. Ryan was sleeping and Jake said that he wanted to watch Inspector Gadget, so I said why don't we watch it in your room and I can pick up while I am in there. Off to pick up an entire weekend's worth of mess. This is when I found all the diapers under the bed. I clean often enough in there that I know that these have only been there a few days. Dealt with that. Jake continued to watch the show and I was picking up, taking care of stuff that didn't belong in his room, I found my way to the computer and did a small blog, checked e-mail, etc. I was only downstairs for probably 15 minutes. Back to Jake's room to hang out and continue to pick up. I am crawling on the floor picking up all the trains and tracks and look under the train table......5 open and empty ampules of albuterol. (this is what we use to give Jake his nebulizer treatments when his asthma is acting up, but we only use one at a time).
M: Jake, what are these doing here?
J: I needed them for my coughsies. (a jake word)
M: When did you do all these?
J: On this day.
M: What do you mean, on this day? Today?
J: Yup, I did them today.
M: There is no way you did all these today, I know you wouldn't have sat this long to do these, you don't have the patience.
J: No, I drank them.
M: You drank them?
J: Yup, I drank them.
M: Really, did you really drink them? Did you really drink them?
J: Yes, I drank them.
You have got to be kidding me!! So I call Scott and tell him, then call Galvin's office and they tell me to call poison control. I do this all the time at work, but never thought I would be calling for my own child, it is a damn good thing that I am a nurse, because I would be freaking out at this point if I didn't have this experience. Plus, I still have a very hard time believing that he really drank these. We talk to the kids all the time about medicine and the dangers and he has been around this albuterol since he was six months old. I don't even know how many times I have told him that this is NOT to drink! I am looking in the package insert and reading about overdose: it says things like seizure, heart rate over 200, restless, agitation, and even cardiac arrest. Now, I know that even just one treatment can give you a bit of an increased HR and shakiness and I am wondering what 5 at one time will do.
PC: Hello, this is poison control.
Les: Hi, my son just drank 5 ampules of 3.5 mg per 3 ml albuterol. So he drank 15 ml's.
PC: Why did he do that?
Les: He said it was to help his coughsies, he has asthma......blah, blah, more answers to questions.
PC: I am going to put you on hold so I can go talk to someone. ( I have never been put on hold in all the times that I have called. Usually they just look it up in their book and tell us what to do)
While I am on hold. I am asking Jake if he really drank these and telling him how dangerous that was, this conversation went on for 10 minutes, all the time that I was on hold. I am telling him that taking medicine the wrong way gets you really sick...etc, etc, etc. Then I tell him, Jake you can die from this, do you realize that? After more talking about this, and I am STILL on hold.
Jake: I didn't drink it.
M: You did or didn't?
J: I didn't.
M: Jake, you can't lie to me, I really need to know.
J: I didn't.
M: What did you do with it?
J: I put it in that thing that you hear with.
M: I have no idea what you are talking about. You have to show me.
We proceed into his bedroom and he shows me the heater register. I pull it out and can see drips coming off of it and a small puddle in the heating duct.
M: Did you put all of it in here? Did you drink any of it?
J: NO! I didn't drink it!
M: Why did you tell me you did then? (as I am still on hold)
J: I didn't want to get into trouble.
Finally the PC lady, Helen, comes back on the phone and asks if he REALLY drank ALL of them. I tell her what happened and she was relieved. She was going to send me to the ER. She told me what to watch for just in case and the call was over. I felt so bad for taking their time, and she was so nice. Now, I was mad...about the lying.
OK, dealt with that issue...more talking and some time out.....
Later he set the mole trap off with his foot, lied about getting dressed to go out and I found him outside with only shorts on (it was too cold for this), wouldn't follow directions many times, and lied some more about things with Amaya.
His afternoon consisted of him in time out, then in his room until his dad got home. He was not happy about this.
Just another day in the life of Jake, I guess. It was rough for me, I am hoping that tomorrow goes a lot smoother.
5 comments:
I hope you had a big 'ol margarita last night!
No beverage of any sort was obtained. We had to go to the first night of swim class last night!
i agree w/jen! gotta get your drink on!!
oh my Les - sounds a little bit like my Mason... I'll bring the salt for the big ol margaritas.
Speechless.... Kids don't ya just love them?????? You probably scared the shit (truth) out of him with You Could Die!!!!! Glad all is well and ER free!!!!!!!
Post a Comment