Monday, August 11, 2008

Pay your debts


We ran to Target earlier today. Amaya always wants to check out the earrings. She wanted some dangly ones and they were only $3.99 for 3 pair. It seems like I am always buying stuff for the kids, ie..she was already getting a Camp Rock t-shirt, backpack, and journal. So I told her that if she wanted to buy this with her own money that she could get them. She agreed and I bought the earrings. (We had the same scenario last week at Toys-R-Us and I bought her a horse, but never asked her to repay me) When we got home, I asked her for the money for the earrings, which she already had in her ears. We went to her room to get her money and all she had was $2.60. I told her that she needed to earn $1.40 and we would call it good. I told her about the acorn job again and she agreed. I came upstairs to find her watching TV. I told her to get to work, but she just kept whining and carrying on. I finally told her that if she didn't get the money to pay me back, that I would take the earrings back and return them. I feel like a mean mom for this, but I want her to know and learn that not everything is just given to her. She needs to learn to work hard for things and respect what she has. I feel this is an invaluable lesson. We don't make her do too much around here, and picking up acorns for some earrings isn't going to hurt her.

She went outside and went to work, after about 15 minutes, she came in with her bucket.
Amaya counting her acorns.




Amaya's "loot".

She is now very proud of her earrings and how she bought them herself.

7 comments:

camhud said...

I think that is awesome that you hold your kids accountable, if that is being mean, than so am I... I think these are very important lessons to learn in life, so reality does not BITE them! Way to go!

Leah said...

you are a very good mother and your kids will so much appreciate you when they grow up..

jen said...

She can come pick some acorns in our yard...I stepped on a sharp one today. How much do they get? A penny a corn?

Anonymous said...

Awesome post! I want to instill those values in my kids too. Great job! I just go done reading all your posts, and catching up! I love the toothpaste pics, the acorns, the cows, and all!! Keep up the fab posts!! You must have your camera in your back pocket at all times!!

Lesley said...

The kids get one penny per acorn!!

julie said...

I think that is such a great lesson to teach kids.
And I'm sure Amaya is so proud of her earrings that she Paid for with her Own Money.....She is growing up into a sweet little lady.

Bec said...

Great parenting! Sticking to our word as a parent is hard...sometimes it even makes me want to cry (yes, I am pregnant too) but in the end...so worth it for them and us. :)