Thursday, August 21, 2008

Dentist

Jake and Amaya went to the dentist today. This was Jake's first actual visit to the dentist. He has gone and watched multiple times, but has never sat in the seat. Amaya has only been one other time. I know, I may be a bad parent for this, but I never went to the dentist, ever, when I was a child. Jake is 5 now, and Amaya is 7. A great time to be going to the dentist.
Amaya was excited, and even giggled while she was getting her teeth cleaned. She thought it was fun, and hey, she has NO cavities. Good girl!!




Amaya in the seat.














Dr. Weber says that Amaya has a very small upper part of her mouth, and she has a cross bite, that will have to be fixed in a couple of years. ( much like her mom )

Jake's turn. He was a little apprehensive, but asked many questions while Amaya went first. He hopped right up into the chair and finished like a champ. He even had to get xrays. Upon the initial exam by Dr. Weber, he saw NO cavities, but after the xrays......4. I can't believe it!! 4-are you kidding me? Poor little bug. They asked me what his habits are....does he drink a lot of juice (no), does he eat a lot of candy (no), drink pop (no). He eats a lot of fruit (she says that is okay). Ahhhh, it is coming back to me.....Jake used to be obsessed (well not really, but he really liked them) with fruit snacks. AKA gummies. He used to even sneak them, and I would find many, many wrappers hidden throughout the house. (under my bed, under the couches, under his bed) That is the only thing that I can think of as having a lot of sugar, and it is really sticky and stays on the teeth longer. The cavities are all hidden, inbetween each of the molars on the upper and lower teeth. (only seen on xray) Tonight, Jake said that he had many tickle spots (25 to be exact) in his mouth and the cleaning actually made him giggle.


Jake has a great alignment of his teeth, and appears to have a good amount of room for adult teeth to grow in. But, yikes, he still has 4 cavities that need to be fixed. This makes me sad.

1 comment:

jen said...

I am glad they we so good at the dentist. Take it from me, it is no fun to go there with a freaked out kid - I have way too many times. Poor Jakers with the cavibees. (That is what Ev calls them)