I can't believe how good and happy that Ryan looks considering he had 102.5 temp when we got home. Poor little bug, felt a little warm before we went to Austin' B-day party so we gave him some Motrin. (We should have known because I couldn't put him down) When we got back, he still wasn't acting himself, so we took his temp. The Motrin hadn't even worn off yet, so we couldn't even give him another dose yet. Tylenol.
He woke up screaming in the night and fell asleep in my arms in the rocking chair. I just thought it would be his ears. That would be too easy. He started last Monday with a cough and runny nose. The cough has gotten worse over the week, and we have had to give him many albuterol neb treatments. This morning, another temp 101.8, now more meds, then off to the med center. ( I swear it has to be his ears)
A peek in the ears, nice and clear. (It must be strep) A peek in his nose and throat, nice and pink.....(Hmmm). "Has he ever had pneumonia?" they asked. NO. Nice and clear lungs. (good) "Maybe it is RSV. (I didn't think of that). "We'll test for that. (OK) I asked, are you going to test for influenza too? "No, it doesn't sound like that, it usually starts with a fever, not just a cough and runny nose." I said, My other son had it 2 months ago and it started with V/D, then the cough and fever. "Alright, we'll test for that too. (It is collected the same time that they collect for RSV, and it doesn't change anything that they need to do to Ryan to diagnose it)
Waiting, Waiting....Ryan fell asleep in my arms in the room, which he NEVER does. The PA came in and said, "You diagnosed your own son....he has influenza."
Poor Ryan, no wonder you feel like crap!
So, another week of a miserable feeling child. It just breaks my heart when a little kid is sick, they just don't understand and you can't even begin to tell them. All we can do is cuddle and medicate him. I DO love to snuggle him, but don't want him to feel bad. They started him on Tamiflu because she is still thinking that it started just yesterday. Tamiflu is supposed to shorten the duration if you can catch it within the first 48 hours. Anything to help him feel better, although I am still not sold on the idea of it just starting yesterday. I think it started last Monday. I think this is his second bout of influenza. He had it when Jake was sick with it 2 months ago. (And yes- he did get the vaccine)

1 comment:
poor little, bubba! Don't worry Lesley..the warm weather is right around the corner! Hopefully, soon, we won't have sick kids for another......4-5 mo! yeehoo!!
Post a Comment