When looking for caterpillars, sometimes it helps to look at milkweed that has tiny holes in them as shown above. It is from a itty bitty caterpillar eating......for example...
(warning, objects are smaller than they appear in the picture)
These pics are actually the bigger of the two that we found tonight, but we gave the smaller to Caity to enjoy (along with some eggs) with her kids!
This is a pic of the caterpillar that hatched yesterday. If you look really close, you can see the hairs on it.
What a big head you have Mr. Caterpillar!!
5 comments:
So awesome. Amaya is Miss Caterpillar Queen.I bet Caity will enjoy her new little bugs with the kids. Our little worm is eating like crazy and I keep watching the eggs to turn dark but still we only have one caterpillar and alot of POOP.
Spence and I may have found one measly little egg today. Maybe - I still have my doubts it is one. They must not be laying eggs on our milkweeds yet. Not a sign of anything.
I'll have to take a stroll down to the creek w/the kids and see if we can find some too!
All our blogs will look very similar!!
:)
You took those pictures! Those are some impressive close ups! That was so nice of you to drop off those the other day. Sorry I was out of it. I was pretty sick that day and trying to just survive. My kids keep asking to see the baby caterpillars :)
Monarch butterflies are so beautiful and what fun for the kids to learn about them. I have tons of milkweed plants in my yard and never mow them down because of the monarchs that come around. I'll have to start looking for the tiny eggs and caterpillars.
Post a Comment