
This is such a fun time for nature with the kids. We have done caterpillars and monarch butterflies for years. This year we have already had 2 hatch, and still have
one very hungry caterpillar left in the aquarium.

These pics are from last year.



All of these are from this year so far. I expect to get plenty of caterpillars over the next few months. Amaya lives for this stuff!

I love to have been able to catch this stage. It is just after the caterpillar turns. It is even still wiggling around at this point, and if you look directly underneath it, the skin will be in a little scrunched up pile. This usually happens very fast and is easily missed. Good eye Amaya!! ( she alerted me to the change going on)
5 comments:
Those really are great pictures! I don't know why I thought it was a few days because I reread your comment and was like "duh!" Anyways...thanks for posting. I'm really excited!
Great pics! We had a cocoon on the side of our house. Amiya would sit there for hours waiting for it to open. She was disappointed when it opened and she missed it.
I was thrown for a second because Jake looks so different in that picture. He has really grown up in the last year! Are there eggs on the milkweed plants now? I have been looking when I walk by but haven't found any over here - in the past it has been around this time of year and a few weeks later.
So...how do you get the eggs? I'm glad I have pros to go to in case of questions :) Joel isn't working all this week and I don't THINK he works until the following Friday which is the 25th. He may work on Wed. the 23rd, but that would be so cool to have! We're going to have to get better containers though :)
Awesome pictures!! What fun, and of course learning too, for the kids! We may have to try that some day!
Post a Comment