Monday, June 16, 2008

Alone time

This morning I got to spend a few hours, all by myself, in my own home!!! Who knew that this would feel like such an indulgence? It was almost a guilt feeling (but not quite) to be this happy to be without my kids or husband. I am so guilty of being one of those moms who never take time for themselves because there is always something that needs to be done around here. I just can't help it, I just want to get it done.
Well, Amaya was signed up for basketball this week, which they cancelled because there weren't enough people signed up, and today was supposed to be her first day. I took 4 hours of vacation this morning so that I could go and make sure everything ran smoothly for her, plus this way, I didn't need to have my mom pick her up. I have to pay daycare for at least one day every week and today was the day. So, I got them up and brought them at 9:30, just like on a regular work day. I then went to my mom and dad's for a little visit, and then I went home so that I could play Betty Crocker for a little while.
I made little mini quiches for Ryan for his breakfasts (all homemade thanks to Julie), and then I made a big pan of Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars, yes, all from scratch. I mean really, is there any other way to make cookies??
Plus, I did two loads of laundry, made the bed, did a ton of dishes, watered the garden, took a shower, and talked to some great friends for quite a while. All this before I went to work and put in 8 1/2 hours running around the ER on another crazy night! Phew, that is quite a productive day for me. See how much I get done without my kids?
This is not to say that I don't love my kids, or love spending time with them, it was just so nice to do this all by myself, without interruption.
My shower was even great, I brought in a radio and listened to Bare Naked Ladies (BNL) while getting ready. I was even belting out the words all the whilst washing my hair and dancing in the shower. I haven't done that in so long. How fun!
I know I am a dork, but I am okay with that. I had a really great day!

4 comments:

julie said...

I am so jealous that sounds like fun blasting the radio and dancing like a crazy woman in the shower....Without little eyes peeking in on you...lol Well I hope Ryan liked the quiches and I'm sure wishing for a homemade CCCookie right about now... Glad you had a great day!!!!

Leah said...

welcome to the world of "all the kids at school" i had alone time, then met dan and now have kaden..i appreciate the alone time and took it for granted because all my kids were older and in school all day.. i know exactly what you mean and look forward to kindergarten in the fall so i can have a few hours to myself...it is great..i know.. we all love our kids too!!!

Bec said...

Yes, alone time certainly is great!! But, I agree with you that it is a very stange feeling! Glad you had the chance...enjoy it when you can. :)

Caity said...

Oh that sounds fun! I'm glad you got to do some stuff by yourself!