Thursday, November 12, 2009

Sigh...


So, Ryan has been limping for like 2-3 months. He had no trauma, injury, bruise, swelling or redness to think that he hurt himself.
He went in for a well check last Thursday with Dr. Galvin, so I told him what has been going on, and with Amaya's history of this type of problem, he ordered some xrays and blood tests. His office called us and said that everything came back negative, and that if we wanted to be referred to an orthopedic specialist, to let them know. So, I called back, and of course, got that referral. Two days later, today, we got in to see Dr Forness (same ped orthopedic as Amaya). He checks Ryan's range of motion.....limited, as his L leg won't cross over the midline just like Amaya's wouldn't. Then he looked at the xrays that I brought from Hackley and tells me that he thinks he sees something on there in the L femur head. "It looks a little white, patchy, but I'd like to repeat the xray, and get a peds radiologist to read it".
Okay, repeat xray done, Forness comes back in to the room, and says that the radiologist agrees with him, and there is something going on, and that it is an abnormal xray!! Ryan needs to have further testing, which means an MRI. He will have to be sedated for it, so will require some preop stuff at his primary care doctor, then will need an peds anesthesiologist for the procedure....ugh!!
I am sad, mad, and confused. I don't understand. How can 2 people in the same family have Perthes', same leg/bone, etc. I wonder if it isn't something else, congenital, hereditary, or something else. Forness says that we will talk about it after the MRI, and that more blood tests will need to be done. Amaya had 2 of the many lab tests come back abnormal. They were blood clotting studies, they were elevated, so maybe that has something to do with all of this...who knows...?
Sigh, here we go again!!!

1 comment:

jen said...

Good to see you back on the blog. Sorry it is not for something fun instead of what it is. Hopefully it will turn out to be something minor. You guys are in our thoughts and prayers!