Thursday, April 2, 2009

more on this....












Huh, this is just crazy!!! I am saddened and have shed some tears, but relieved at the same time. I said that I would take anything over CA or a life threatening illness, so here it is. We can get through this, it will just take a while.
Amaya is NOT to jump, run or play any high impact or competitive sports. She IS able to ride horses, but not able to trot or canter. She is sad about this, and just states, "I want to do whatever I want on the horse". In a couple of years, hopefully, she will be back to normal with minimal effects into her adulthood.
We have to watch this closely, as there are risks of dislocating that hip through all the stages of the disease. If that happens they will have to take measures to keep it in. (most probable- hip surgery) We are just hoping and praying that she will not need that and this will be a minimalist type of the disease. It is just a wait and see, doing xrays periodically throughout to keep an eye on it.
She doesn't have a lot of pain, but it it DOES get worse with activity. Such a nice, gentle reminder of the dying bone. (ugh!)
She is such a tough little girl, and has taken this all so well, we are so proud of her!

On another note, her legs are the same length again, and her gait is so much better. Physical therapy (Marty) has helped sooo much. I know that when we get to the recovery/bone growing stage that she will still need the PT, and it is nice to already know the therapist and to really like him.

I was talking to Amaya last night about this and she came up with such great questions.

#1 Why did this happen to me? It just happens, for no reason. You didn't do anything wrong, we didn't do anything wrong, it just happens.
#2 What happens to the bone part that dies? It just reabsorbs in your body, it kind of just dissolves.
Amaya- oh, just like those color tablets that we put in the bath tub to change the color of the water?
Mom- Just like those, what a great reference!
#3 If I jump, will it dent the bone more? No, it won't dent the bone more, but may cause more injury and pain.

All of these types of posts are to be continued.....

3 comments:

jen said...

So that Xray is not Amaya. Her disease is not to that extent, right? Will it get to that extent or does the treatment prevent that?

I am sorry that she has to go through all of this. She is a tough little girl and she will be fine in the long run.

Let us know if you need anything. Keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers.

jensenbo said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Amaya and this dreadful disease. It sounds like she is taking it very well however; she a strong little gal. I'm glad she can still ride her beloved horses.

Caity said...

Oh man! That would be beyond frustrating! I am so sorry! She is a tough one.